Sunday, May 23, 2010

Table for One

Ok, really I have a table for four - I'm just the only one sitting at it right now. If you haven't caught my drift yet, the topic of this post is going to be about being single.

This morning I was telling my friend a story about how a room full of people found out I was single and I was really embarrassed. As I was thinking about the story later, I thought "If only it was my choice to be single - that would make it easier." Is that really true?

I realized that I have a control issue when it comes to my life - I want to be in control! I love to be in charge, especially of my life, but you know what? God wants the control. He wants to be in charge of every aspect of my life and He wants me to trust His guidance and His leading. He has never failed me and yet I still struggle with trusting Him with this aspect of my life? Why?

There are so many reason why - because I'm reminded of my relationship status almost daily, because so many people my age are married, engaged or at least dating, because it's a desire of my heart and I haven't seen fulfilled yet, and the list could go on and on. But the truth is that God hasn't revealed that part of my life yet. I just need to wait. Waiting is hard for me, but that's what God is asking for me to do.

As I sit here writing this, God just reminded me of this promise from Proverbs 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." What a wonderful promise! I'm going to claim this today, and tomorrow and probably the next day. My understanding isn't working for me, so I need to stop leaning on it. God loves me. He is my beloved. I'm going to try to relish in that love today and trust His timing for everything else. Here I go ...

4 comments:

  1. Hello fellow singleton!
    I know exactly what you mean. (remember last summer and getting asked that 6 times at my co-worker's wedding?) My sister, who is getting so wise, said to me, "you know, the man you're supposed to meet is probably out there right now just as impatient as you." When did our little sisters get so smart?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kalie for your words of insight and wisdom. Just so you know, you are one of the most compassionate, joy-filled people I know - It is always a blessing to be around you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalie love you are such a STRONG example of a single woman, you have so much to be proud of. If you ever get the single girl blues, you can come visit this perpetually single girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalie-
    I am not sure how old you are but I was single till I was 26. I was one of those girls growing up who thought I would be married by 18 so I am so glad I didn't know at 18 that I wasn't going to be married till I was 26!!!! Oh geez! Now 26 doesn't seem so old at all. When Tristan first caught my eye he was 15 and I was 20...gross I know...I'm a creeper...but he was so different(even than the guys who were 25 around me) and I knew I would marry him some day. Six years later I became his wife and let me tell you it was worth every miserable(and wonderful) moment of waiting. I LOVE being married to him and I love who he is so much. Every part...good and difficult is sweet. Waiting for God's best and timing is SOOOOO worth it. It will make all the hard moments you go through now being single a joy to look back on. Your genuine heart and love and devotion to Jesus is so obvious and I know you will have a story and a man completely worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete