Thursday, March 18, 2010

Monkeys at the Zoo


Well, it's 6 a.m. and guess who's up? Me! Yep - jet lag and I have become good friends over the past few days. Apparently my body thinks that 6 is my new wake up time, but if that's the only repercussion from an awesome trip, then I'll take it! If you haven't been able to tell from all of my pictures and stories - this was one of my favorite trips EVER! And I'm having so much fun blogging about it and sharing all of my memories.
On Friday, Danielle went into work in the morning and I got to go with her. I met all of her co-workers and even got to be a part of a birthday party! There was some awesome chocolate cake involved, which was great!
This was our day to go to the Taipei Zoo and let me just share this crazy story from the way to the zoo. We got on the MRT and I just happened to look at this guy sitting down beside us and he looked familiar. Keep in mind that I know a whole whopping like 6 people in this country so I didn't really think it was possible to know him. He looked up at me, though and put his glasses on and it turns out it was Danielle's friend Eugene that I had met the previous Saturday. Isn't that so crazy! In a city of 3 million, the chances of running into someone I know is like 0.000000001% and it happened!

Ok, now to the zoo - it only cost $2 to get in, which was awesome! Especially considering that this was the best zoo we'd ever been to! The Taiwanese are very visual people and this zoo was so aesthetically pleasing. The way they divided the animals up was by geographic area and when you were in that section, it looked like that part of the world! Australia felt like a jungle, the penguin area was like the Artic with evergreen trees and snowcapped glaciers, there was Africa and Asia and Formosa - it was all so neat! We saw Frankie the giant Panda - which was really cool! And you know - lions, tigers, bears (oh my!), monkeys, flamingos, koalas, giraffes, rhinos and hippos and just about anything you can think of, we probably saw it.





Our favorite animals were the monkeys - which is so funny! I think they were the most lively and entertaining, so we found ourselves drawn to them a lot. We had been saying all week that we felt like monkeys, because people liked to stare at us a lot, so it was really funny that they were our favorites! This little family of chimps provided us with entertainment for quite a while!

The zoo is also one of the great locations from our music video. Danielle set up her tripod and flip camera on the ground outside the entrance (drawing quite a crowd) and we did some dancing. There's a couple of times in the video when you see me dancing kind of awkwardly - that is was my warm up when I didn't know Danielle was filming ... hence the awkward, haha.

That night we went with Ken and Sharyl to "Green Tablecloth" which is their favorite restaurant in their neighborhood. It was really good food! My favorite that night was the Kung Po chicken, but I actually liked the pinapple shrimp too, which was really surprising if you know me and my disdain for eating almost anything under the sea. After dinner we filmed some more for the video in the night market area. Ken makes a cameo appearance during our awkward dance - he's the high five guy.

To close Friday, I'll leave you with my favorite picture and quote of the day from Danielle:

"There are so many good things about us that we like!"

No comments:

Post a Comment