Saturday, March 20, 2010

Medical Masks and a 3D Wonderland

On Saturday we took a break. It had been such a busy week, that we really needed some down time, so that morning we stayed in pajamas and watched movies and just enjoyed hanging out. Around 4 we headed to Miramar which is a fun area about an hour from Danielle's apt. via the reliable transportation venue known as the MRT.

We met up with Danielle's friend Jenny and went to dinner at T.G.I.Friday's. (If you are keeping track, this was my second time at Friday's and yes, we ate American food a lot!) Jenny is another friend from the university, and she's really sweet! We had a great time hanging out with her, and she actually helped us film a little more for the music video. Danielle and I bought some cute medical masks the day before and so, we decided the Miramar mall would be a great place for them to make their appearance! We wore them up and down the escalator while Jenny filmed us and we did get a few looks! Then we went outside, where it was raining, but the ferris wheel was lit up and it was so fun!
It was about 7:15 now, which meant we needed to rush upstairs for the main event - we were seeing Alice in Wonderland in 3D at the IMAX! Whoa! I know, sounds crazy and intense, right? Well it was! I had never seen a movie at the IMAX or in 3D, so both at once was quite a thrill. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I would recommend it!

Then we rode the fun ferris wheel and got a good view of the city lit up at night. Our way home on the MRT was an adventure as well. First, I didn't get the memo that we were changing trains at one point and almost stayed on while Danielle and Jenny got off. Seeing as how I hadn't been paying attention at all that week on where we were, where we were going or how to get back to Danielle's, I'm really thankful that I realized they left before the doors closed and I was lost forever.

Then, while we were in the Main Station, Danielle and I hopped on a train heading home (so we thought). We got to a stop that Danielle didn't recognize and we realized we were on the Orange line - which is not the way home. (Side note: earlier that day Danielle had mentioned that the orange line was the only one I hadn't been on yet, so now I can say I've been on them all). So, we waited for another train to take us back to the main station, hopped on and we were back again. We went down a level, got on another train and as soon as the doors closed, we both realized that we were on an orange train again! What are the chances? We both died laughing and I think everyone thought we were crazy foreigners. As soon as we got to the next station a train heading back to the main station was arriving at the same time, so we ran from one train to the other and headed back to the main station AGAIN. haha. I can report that this time we were certain that we were getting on a green and 30 minutes later than we anticipated, we arrived at Danielle's home MRT. Whew! It was so funny and every trip has to have at least one story like this, right? I don't think you can truly say it's an adventure if you don't get lost at least once!

On Sunday we went back to the jade market in the morning and then met up with Simon again for the much anticipated "Lunch with Kalie Lowrie" and the WT students in Taipei. We ate at this really neat restaurant called Five Dimes which looked kind of like a sunken ship. Several of my mom's former students met us there including Dana, Shiang, Alli, Joey, Ching and Vicky. We had a lot of fun and enjoyed all of the food they ordered!

That afternoon we finished filming our video with the rooftop scences and the cute little girls. Then we finalized "Just Dance, Taipei," had dinner with Ken and Sharyl and I packed up my stuff. Danielle went with me to the airport on Monday morning and then I headed back home via Tokyo.

Can I just say that I'm kind of sad to be writing this last post, because that means my trip is really officially over. :( Here are some other tell-tale signs that I'm back to reality-
1. I unnpacked my suitcase this morning, which basically meant putting all of the contents into my dirty clothes basket
2. I slept for 12 hours last night, hopefully helping me to finally get over the jet lag that has slowed me down all week.
3. My facebook pictures are posted -I condensed my 750 pics down to 132 for those who are interested, click here.

Well, this concludes the Adventures of Danielle and Kalie in Taiwan. I hope you enjoyed it! I have had a great time sharing all of my favorite stories from my amazing trip to the beautiful country of Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment