Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lessons and Carols

This evening I had the pleasure of being part of a beautiful Christmas service at St. John's Episcopal Church in Brownwood. It was called "Lessons and Carols," and it was modeled after The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols which was first held at King's College, Cambridge, on Christmas Eve in 1918.

Tonight, HPU's Heritage Singers performed the same service and it was amazing! I have heard them perform several times, and in my opinion this was their best! The songs they sang were so beautiful, presenting a great representation of the birth of Jesus. During the service, faculty and staff members read nine lessons, chronicling the Christmas story from Adam to Jesus. I was asked to read the Fifth Lesson about the angel Gabriel coming to Mary.

It is not often that I attend more traditional services like this one, but I always enjoy it! There is beauty in the "thees and thous!" It was such a joy be a part of this beautiful night and I will definitely plan on attending this service next year! What a wonderful way to start preparing my heart for the celebration of Christmas this year!!

1 comment:

  1. I've read the last several years, but not this year; too much going on! I am so glad that it touched you this year though Kalie. If there is ever a time we should adhere to the liturgical calendar, Advent and Christmas is it!

    ReplyDelete