Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Same Kind of Different as Me


On my trip to Milwaukee, I read an amazing New York Times best-seller called "Same Kind of Different as Me." My friend Kristy had been telling me about it for a really long time and I have had several other friends recommend it, but I kept putting it off - mainly because it is non-fiction and I'm more of a fiction girl.

Since I had heard so many great things about it, I decided to take it on my trip and read it on the plane. Now, this wasn't the wisest idea I ever had, because I cried through the whole book. The people sitting next to me on the plane both there and back had to sit next me as I sopped up tears, but I had no idea that was going to happen.

The book is written by two men, Ron Hall and Denver Moore, about their lives and friendship. It is set in Fort Worth around 1998. Ron is a millionaire art dealer and Denver is a homeless man. They became friends because of Ron's wife, Debbie, and her heart for the homeless people in Fort Worth. It is truly an amazing story about the shocking things that they both lived through (it's hard to believe it really happened) and about the beautiful heart of Debbie Hall. She is truly one of the most inspirational people I have ever read about. Debbie felt the Lord calling her to minister to the homeless, and that is what she did - with her whole heart. Mid-way through the book I was ready to quit my job, sell everything I have and go minister to homeless people. God did amazing things through all three of these people and it is definitely worth reading! Seriously - it's one of the best books I've ever read - go get it today!

4 comments:

  1. i read that book last year and really enjoyed it too. can't wait to talk to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that book on a trip with Clee's family in July. Angie had heard the two men speak at a conference. I loved it....It makes you look at life just a little differently now, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly - it definitely made me look at things differently! It's amazing how unaware I can be of things going on right around me! This book has truly changed my perspective!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I want to borrow it next - also, I would love for you to come and talk to my Theology and Culture class about it!

    ReplyDelete