Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Don't Forget the Frozen Custard!

I spent my Labor Day weekend in wonderful Wisconsin. It was so much fun to be back in the cheese state with the friends that I love so much! I got in around 9 on Friday night and had a very grown-up experience as I rented a car for the first time. For some reason, it made me feel like such an adult to fly into Millwaukee, rent a car and drive around. I spent Friday night with my "church" friend Erin Soderburg. When I lived up there I had my "school" friends and my "church" friends -both groups were amazing and had profound impacts on my life. Erin lives near the UWM campus and we had spent the night catching up on each other and everyone we know. Saturday morning we walked to a Brugger's bagels a few blocks from her apt - which was wonderful! This was my mom's request for my trip - to eat at Bruggers - and it was just as good as I remembered.

Then, I headed to Jen McT's house for a bit before we went downtown to meet Courtney. Jen and I didn't stop talking from the minute I got to her house to the minute we met Courtney - which was really funny because we didn't even really discuss plans, I just followed Jen around figuring it out as we went. :) Court lives in this really neat apartment complex that was built in the 1930s. My favorite part of her apt was her toilet, because, if you look closely, you can see "Erie" on it. She said as soon as she saw that, she knew this was the place for her. Haha. So random, but so fun! The three of us took off on a walking tour of downtown - which amazingly I have never done before! Court and Jen were great tour guides - telling me all about the statues, Cathedrals, City Hall, and pretty much everything we saw. We just happened to see JP II (Pope John Paul II) which was just perfect since I decided in high school that I was going to be the first woman, Southern Baptist, American, English speaking Pope. We also ran into the bronze Fonz, don't ask me why the city decided they needed a bronze statue of the Fonz.

Then we walked along Lake Michigan in this really neat wildflower reserve that they have built behind the SummerFest grounds. It was so beautiful and just the perfect day! Katie met up with us and we headed to the Grand Avenue Mall. That night all of us met up with Chuck and Erin for dinner at Maxie's, a new cajun restaurant in Tosa, which was soo good! We all took a trip down memory lane as we reminised about our days at Tosa East. Of course we then had to get frozen custard - what's a trip to Wisco without that? Then we headed to Chuck and Erin's house where we sat around for hours telling stories and laughing until we almost cried. Jenny P (Erin's twin) was able to come too after she got off of work.


Sunday morning I went to Northwest Baptist Church (the church my dad used to pastor) for the first time in probably 6 or 7 years. They have a new building now and so I had my friend Mandy take me on a tour - which was fun! I felt like I aged 8 years over night as I saw the kids that used to be in the nursery with Madison tower over me, play in the orchestra and drive! Being back there definitely brought tears to my eyes, with memories of the wonderful times I had there, and seeing how far the Lord has taken me since then. That afternoon I met up with Ron and Lynne Crump, my friend Amanda's parents, who I have known since I was three. It was so good to see them, and to see that Ms. Lynne's arm had healed since she broke it at Lorin's wedding. Then I went over to Melanie Strenk's house for a fun party! Here's the guest list: Sherry, George and their kids Shelby and Chase, Scott, Tawny and their kids Sam and Emma, Mel's dad Bill, Scott's mom and brother and then a couple of others. We sat around and talked while the kids played and even celebrated Scott's 30th bday! Sherry, Scott and I were in the youth group together and Mel and Tawny were sweet enough to be friends with me even though I was in high school while they were cool college chicks. It was great seeing them and their kids!

That night I met back up with the Tosa East crew at Katie's house. We sat around her fire pit because amazingly enough it was cool outside! (kind of a shock to my Texas system) I got to meet Katie's boyfriend Filo. Even though we stayed up late, we decided to meet at George Webbs for breakfast on Monday so we could all be together one more time before Jenny had to work. The rest of the morning we spent watching great movie including Anastasia and Enchanted. It was a perfect end to a perfect weekend!

Being back up north brought back lots of memories. Living up there was so different than anything I had known before (or since probably). It was a hard adjustment my first year, as a freshman, but I made amazing friends (all listed above, plus many who are living other places now). The weather was a major adjustment! (who knew snot could freeze in your nose?) I was also challenged spiritually, emotionally and politically. I really had to figure out what I believed and why I believed it, because sometimes, okay A LOT of times, it was different than the majority of the people around me. I know that God had a great thing planned when He brought the Lowrie family up to that cold tundra, and I am a better person for having lived there and met all of the people I know. PS - look on my facebook page for more pics from the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Kalie! You are a great friend and I am so thankful to have you in my life even if I can't see you every day (which is my dream obviously!) Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalie girl!
    I'm so glad you had such a good time. Next time we'll head down to Texas and see if that sky really is bigger there and learn what "hot" really means :)
    Love from "up nort"
    Jen McT

    ReplyDelete