Friday, September 11, 2009

Heroine of the Battle of Cowpens

Tonight my grandmother and I spent several hours researching our family tree. I have always been proud of my heritage - but it is so neat to go back further than I have ever seen and find out even more about my ancestry.

Apparently my great-great-great-great-great grandmother, Kate Barry, was the Heroine of the Battle of Cowpens. Crazy, right? haha. This was during the Revolutionary War, and Kate - who was 15 at the time - helped warn her husband (yep, husband) that the Tories were coming, subsequently helping win the Battle of Cowpens. The history that we read about on the Walnut Grove Plantation in Spartenburg, SC describes her as a very brave woman. "Courageous Kate" was torchered at one point to give up the location of her husband and his regiment and she refused. I think some of that bravery may have been lost through the generations, but either way - I have a certifiable claim as a Daughter of the American Revolution. Which is pretty cool to me, considering how much I love this country of ours! (i.e. I almost cried the first time I saw the Constitution in DC)

Beyond my rich American history, I am proud of my amazing Christian lineage. While hanging out with my grandparents tonight, I was able to talk to my Great Grandmother Lowrie (my Papa's mom). She is 92 years old and lives in the mountains of Tennessee. I have not had many opportunities to see Grandmother Lowrie in my lifetime, but I am so proud to call her my great grandmother. She is a strong woman of faith that is the matriarch of an incredible family, in my humble opinion.

My Grandmother (Dad's mom, in case you are having trouble following) also showed me letters tonight testifying to the strong faith of my great grandfather (her dad) and great-great-grandfather (her mom's dad). Both men were known for their prayer life. The words used to describe them were truly humbling - I should strive to ever have anyone say such things about me. It is so neat to know that the love of the Lord runs deep in my veins and my heart. On both the Lowrie and Reynolds sides I have a strong rich hertiage in my heavenly Father. And not just that, but I am a child of the King! Whew - I am truly blessed beyond measure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment