Sunday, September 26, 2010

Treasures on Earth

Do you ever have times when God is speaking to you about something and everywhere you turn, there it is again? Well, that's how's its been for me the past few days. I've been really convicted about my "riches" here on this earth.

On Tuesday night at Bible study, Beth Moore (via video, no, she wasn't really here) was talking about the wealth we have in America. She said that if we own one book and are able to read it, we are some of the wealthiest people in the world - because of the education we've received and the money we have. It really struck a chord with me and I've been thinking about it a lot this week. I know that I have so much and I know that I am not the best at sharing my wealth.

This morning in Sunday school, we had a guest teacher - one of my favorite people in the world - Dr. Carol Boren. She taught from James 5 and was talking about hoarding our wealth rather than blessing others with it. She talked about how the money we have been given is not a bad thing, but it is important to be wise in how we use it.

So, here are some of my thoughts. I know that I have not been the best steward with my resources. A lot of times I just blame it on being single - I know that I have money in the bank and I'm the only person to buy things for myself, so I usually just get what I want when I want it. Do I always need it? NO! Absolutely not! But there's no one around to spoil me, so I just spoil myself. That's so selfish! I try to bless others with gifts from time to time and give money to offerings, mission trips, and other things that I feel inclined to, but it's sporatic and not always intentional. I really feel like God is calling me to be a better steward. To use the money and resources He has entrusted to me to bless others and help those who need help.

So, starting October 1, I'm going to try to start budgeting. I'm not sure how good I'm going to be at this, but I'm going to try. First, I'm going to evaluate where I'm spending my money and set limits for myself on certains areas - like shopping, eating out, etc. I think that part is going to hurt! Then, I'm going to really seek out areas that I feel like God is calling me to give. I don't know what this is going to look like yet, but I really want to bless others and support mission opportunities (locally, nationally, globally). I think I'm writing this plan out to help me stay accountable. I really pray that this is a lifestyle change that will stick! I want to be so much better with my money!

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matthew 6:19-21

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Kalie. Although James is blunt about the judgement upon the accumulation of riches, I think the Matthew 6:19-21 reflects a less 'edgier' encouragement to be the stewards God ordained us to be in Genesis 2. We have what we have in order to be Kingdom servants!

    ReplyDelete