Monday, September 6, 2010

I Blame Belle

I want adventure in the great wide, somewhere
I want it more than I can tell
and for once it might be grand
to have someone understand
I want so much more than they've got planned ...

This summer I went to see Beauty and the Beast the Musical with my friend Katie Ellwood. As we sat there and watched one of our favorite childhood musicals come to life, I realized that this story has a lot of meaning in my life right now. My dreams are bigger than I ever thought they would be. I want adventure! I don't want to settle for what people expect of me! I want more than that! I have a huge desire to do more, see more, be more! When Belle sang the verses above, I have to admit, I got tears in my eyes. I felt like she was singing my song.

I never dreamed when I was a kid that I would be like Belle, but now, I blame her for all of these huge dreams and aspirations I have. I feel like her story may have actually inspired me growing up without me even realizing it. Her thirst for knowledge, courage and independence are all attributes that I admire. She also is so kind and compassionate. She was willing to give her life for her father's and then when we was practically imprisoned, she made the most of it. I know it seems a little ridiculous idealizing a Disney princess, but Belle embodies a lot of who I want to be. And her song is my anthem of sorts.

The great news is that God knows all of my dreams and aspirations! He knows my heart, even better than I do, and He has an awesome plan for my life. Like the old hymn that I love so much says, "Wherever He leads I'll go, Wherever He leads I'll go, I'll follow my Christ who loves me so, Wherever He leads I'll go."

So, I think it's okay to want to be like Belle, because my mighty Savior is leading me on toward the many adventures ahead.

Note: Katie and I both decided to blog about "blaming Belle." Katie is a precious friend from college and someone who really understands me at this point in my life. I encourage you to read what she had to say on her blog! It's really wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment