Sunday, June 20, 2010

King of the Wild Frontier

Yesterday I had an adventure. It wasn't intentional, but that makes it even more fun, right? Well, here's the story - I was asked to attend a funeral for an HPU alum in Crockett, Texas. I'd never been to Crockett before, so I left extra early to make sure I got there in plenty of time. It was a 4 hour drive and I ended up in town a whole hour before the funeral.

I was wondering on my long drive if Crockett had any connection with good old Davy, the king of the wild frontier and as I drove into town, my question was answered. I passed right by the "David Crockett Spring," so naturally, I had to stop! Apparently Davy stopped at this spring to get a drink on his way to San Antonio for that fateful battle at the Alamo.


I have a really good museum radar detector, and as I was looking around at the spring, I noticed a sign for the Houston County Museum right across the street. Since I had an hour, and nothing to do, I decided to go check it out. I learned quite a bit about Houston County - the oldest county established under the Republic of Texas in 1837. There were two really sweet old ladies that worked at the museum, and they spent extra time giving me a personalized tour of the musuem. They both grew up in the area, so many of the artifacts had personal significance for them. Here are some of the things that I saw:

A firetruck from the 1920s

An entire room dedicated to their old coal mining office from the 1910s

One of the ladies suggested that I go see this house in town. It was built in 1893 and it was so beautiful! Small towns can have so much charm and beauty!

On my way home I was able to stop in Waco and have dinner with my college roommate Meredith. It was great to catch up with her! Then God blessed me with an awesome sunset as I got back into town 12 hours after I left. It was so gorgeous! Quite a day, to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment