Sunday, November 22, 2009

A place to take refuge

This weekend I was a sponsor on a BSM trip to Fort Worth. Shane and Katy Blackshear and I took 11 students to work with refugees through a non-profit organization called Catholic Charities. Over the past few months I had been praying about mission opportunities that the Lord might have me be involved in, and I was so excited when Katy asked me to join this trip - it was definitely an eye-opener!

Amazingly, I only had to travel 2 hours away from my home to meet people from Burma, Bhutan and Kenya. Honestly, while I have heard of all of these countries and could probably locate Kenya on a map, I definitely had no idea about where Burma or Bhutan were located or anything about the struggle of the people there and why they would be refugees.

The families we encountered have come to America for refuge and safety. They fled their homes for many reasons and some have lived in refugee camps for ten years or more. Many that we met spoke very broken English, so I didn't hear all of these stories, but I know that they are survivors! Each family was so welcoming and kind. Several invited us into their homes and gave us the only chairs that they had in their apartments to sit on, while they took the floor. We were collecting "Christmas Wish List" information for their children, so we asked them each what they would they might like. It was so humbling when they would simply ask for a jacket to keep warm or pencils for school. None of them asked for an X-box 360 or Wii, the latest Hannah Montana cd or an ipod. Their faces lit up when we suggested a gift like a soccerball or baby doll.

It really made me aware of how much I have and how I take it for granted. There are so many in need around the world, people who don't know when they will be able to eat again or if they will have a roof over their head tonight. I am so thankful that I do not have these worries, and I hope that this holiday season I can find opportunities to share with those less fortunate.

I was also struck this weekend by the fact that we live in a country where people can feel safe enough to come here for refuge. It is wonderful to know that our government is helping those who cannot help themselves. But, at the same time, it is important to remember that God is our ultimate refuge! As the psalmist said in Psalm 46:1, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble." It is my prayer that as these refugee settle into their new homes and new lives that they will meet Jesus Christ. That they will find the ultimate hope that comes from a relationship with him and experience hope and peace like they've never known.

This morning we had the opportunity to worship with several Bhutanese people at the Altamesa Christ of Christ. This church has been a wonderful example of God's love to these hurting people. We talked with some of the church members that work with the Bhutanese ministry and they shared that through meeting the immediate physical needs of the refugees, they were able to meet their spiritual needs. The chuch was not looking to start a Bhutanese ministry, but God lead the people to their door, and so they embraced them and started finding ways to minister to them. I pray that I would be an ever-ready servant like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment