Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Second box of candles and the BGCT

Did you know that birthday candles only come in boxes of 24? I learned that the hard way when Lorin had to buy two boxes of candles for my birthday cake on Friday. haha, it's so funny getting older! I had such a wonderful birthday! I drove down to Galveston and took Lorin's guided tour of the Moody mansion, then Lor, Phil and I drove into Houston to meet Mom, Dad, Jamie and Madison at Outback Steakhouse to celebrate! I don't think I could have asked for a better present than to have all of my family together! (I did get a GPS, Sleeping Beauty, the new Carrie Underwood CD and a beautiful mirror as well!)

The rest of the weekend we spent together (in the executive suite at the Hilton - which was definitely a sweet suite!) at the Baptist General Convention of Texas Annual Meeting. Since Dad is president, he presided over the entire meeting and did such a wonderful job! People kept telling me how much they appreciated his leadership, his kind and gentle spirit and the way that he has brought about so much peace to the convention over the past year. The Lord has truly gifted Dad is so many ways and I was beaming with pride for him these past few days. Dad was re-elected to serve as president for another year through a vote of acclimation. It served as a great affirmation to his great leadership this past year. Here's a story about it!

It was also a mini family reunion - my grandparents were there along with my uncles John and Steve, aunt Debbie, and to our great surprise, my great aunt Debbie and uncle David! Monday night was really special because my mom sang in the praise team, my sisters and I read scripture on stage right before Dad preached a sermon on compassion, and then my Papa closed the session in prayer. Three generations of Lowrie's were present, representing a wonderful heritage of faith.

In addition to being the first daughter of the convention, I also had several other jobs. I worked at the HPU booth, helped with our alumni dinner (where my college roommate Meredith got to come and lead the prayer!) and wrote an article for about one of the general sessions. You can read it if you click here. It was a great convention and such a blessing to be a part of! So far, being 25 has been pretty wonderful! I look forward to all adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment