Monday, August 10, 2009

Treasures

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where theives break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where theives do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

My mom and I were talking this weekend about her love for French and her strong desire to be in Paris. She was saying that she has invested so much time into learning this new language and has such a strong desire to go to France, that there must be a reason and she is just waiting for God to reveal His plan to her. We were then talking about how in our lives, we pursue worldly knowledge and sometimes we do not understand why we have a desire to learn something like why King Henry VIII just couldn't keep a wife. We were reflecting on the verse above and how, we should not store up earthly treasures (like a really awesome jet plane that would take me anywhere in the world) because it will not last after we die. How does that apply to our passions and pursuits? How does me watching countless hours of Gilmore Girl reruns help further the kingdom of heaven? It really made me think about how I spend my time and what I invest myself in. I should live my live in a way that glorifies the Lord and should use the talents and gifts that He has given me for His glory.

I was reminded last week through the tragic death of a 12-year-old (Maggie Lee Henson) that life is so short and we need to make the most of EVERY day we are blessed with. Maggie Lee was in a bus accident on her way to youth camp about 4 weeks ago. She lived for three weeks in ICU, and during that time, her story spread like wildfire across the country. There were more than 200,000 visits to a website her parents were updating about her condition. Thousands of people who didn't even know her, including me, were united in prayer for her. And while, she did not ever wake up here on Earth again, I am confident that she is in Heaven with the Lord today and I know that many lives where touched by the testimony of her life. To God be the Glory forever and ever! May I strive everyday to pursue things that are pleasing to the Lord and share His abounding love with the people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment