Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who I am

"Who you are alone is alone who you are."

The other day I was talking with some ladies and one of them shared this quote. It really struck me and I like what it says! I feel like over the past few years I have had lots of alone time. And during that time, I've found out a lot about myself. When I was in college, I was NEVER alone! Like seriously, I think it wasn't until my senior year that I even went to Wal-mart by myself. I was definitely dependent upon my friends. I didn't want to be by myself and have to reflect on how I was doing, what I wanted in life or any kind of introspection. So, I just filled up all of my time with people. Now, I did love spending time with my friends. Those friendships that I developed definitely have stayed with me and are such a big part of me now. I'm thankful for all of the time I spent with them and glad I did it. But I didn't know who I was really. I didn't know what I liked and what I wanted and what was motivating me.

Living by myself for three years definitely was eye-opening. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and didn't have to justify it to anyone. For a while, I was really lonely. But during that alone time, I began seeking after God more than I ever had before. I realized that He was truly ALL I needed. He wanted to be my best friend - the one I cried to, the one I shared my hopes and dreams with, the one to celebrate my joys with. God wanted to be my ALL. I'm still working on giving my life completely to Him, but the process has been amazing. Through this "soul searching," if you will, I have found more of who I am.

I am passionate about people, I love to travel and see new things and experience new cultures, reading is my escape - mostly for pleasure and sometimes to better myself, I'm inspired by testimonies of how God is working in people's lives, watching t.v. shows is my favorite way to make new friends, communication is the key to me - in my work life and my personal life, I love words!!!, I have a need to be spontaneous sometimes, road trips make me happy, my heart breaks for orphans, laughing is my favorite thing, dancing is so much fun (even all alone), I like to be original in small ways - like with necklaces, shoes and purses, I want be married and to be a mom, but I am finally content to wait on God's timing and not my own. These are just a few things I've learned about myself. Those who know me well probably knew a lot of these things and it's just taken a while for me to recognize them. Some of this stuff is trivial, other stuff is very personal, but it's all me.

No comments:

Post a Comment