Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Close to Home

The war on the border is starting to hit closer to home for me. I was reading my Dad's blog tonight about how this week there was another gunfight in Juarez that spilled into El Paso. A stray bullet actually hit Bell Hall at the University of El Paso. No one was hurt, thankfully, but my mom is now a student at UTEP and will be on that campus several times each week. It's such a scary thought to know that she is directly "in the line of fire."

El Paso boasts that it is the 2nd safest city in America. Seriously, they boast about it. It's all I heard both times I visited, and yet it is across the border from one of the most dangerous places in the world right now. I read in the paper yesterday that more than 1,800 people have been killed in drug related incidents in Juarez just this year. Hearing about something like that halfway across the world is horrible, but honestly sometimes I don't grasp the reality of the situation. Hearing about something that is happening just 2 miles away from where my dad, mom and sister are living is VERY real to me.

I know that God has called them to El Paso for such a time as this. Jesus is the only answer for healing on the border. I am a firm believer in Jesus' power. I believe He wants to do great things in the midst of this chaos and turmoil. And I am trusting that He has my family in His hands right this moment. If you think of it, please pray for protection over my precious family. It's hard to be so far away, especially knowing what is happening day to day in their area. Pray for healing in Mexico. Pray for an end to this war. Pray that God's love will be preached on the streets and that people will come to know Him in a mighty and powerful way.

My Dad quoted Psalm 91 in his blog, and I think it's a great passage to cling to:

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most Highwill rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress,my God, in whom I trust.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kalie for posting this blog. I know where your Dad is at in his heart and understand what drives. We are praying for him and for you. I am thankful that even you understand what is happening.

    ReplyDelete