Friday, July 23, 2010

Bloomin' Awesome!

Last week I had the priviledge of going to the Brownwood Community Garden - and it was awesome! One of our HPU professors, Mr. Kimery, and his wife Cindy took me to show me around and share more about the garden for a story I'm working on. This garden is awesome for many reasons, but the main reason being that half of all of the produce grown here goes directly to the Salvation Army and Good Samaritan to feed the hungry in our community. The planting boxes designated for donations are gardened by volunteers and I think it is so wonderful. In fact, I talked to my friends in my Tuesday night Bible study and I think we are going to go out there next week and help pick beans, or whatever veggie is ready for picking. What a great way to serve our neighbors in need!

And it's so neat to see produce in its element! The Kimery's are so knowledgable on all things "green" and they took me around and showed me all of the different plants, describing what they were, why they were growing that way, etc. I ate fresh okra and sweet peas right off the vine (or whatever they grow on) and saw almost every veggie you can imagine. I learned a lot and can't wait to start on the story! Its days like these that I really love my job!!! Getting out in God's creation and learning about how people are serving people. So cool!

Here are some of the pictures I took on our adventure:


1 comment:

  1. so cool! wish i still lived there to be a part. glad you got to check it out!

    ReplyDelete