Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Snow in the Wood

As I write this blog I'm sitting on my couch, in my warm, comfy clothes. The heater is running, my iPod is on shuffle, at least 4 inches of snow is covering the ground and I just put down a good book. It doesn't get much better than this!

I love snow! One of all time favorite Gilmore Girls moments is an episode when Lorelei describes her love for snow. It's just such a magical phenomenon (in Texas at least) that is so beautiful, clean and quiet. Snow is calming and comforting to me - plus it is so much fun to play in! This morning, before we closed for the day, I went around and took some pictures of the HPU campus covered in snow. The snow was untouched at the point, because students hadn't gotten out in it yet, and it was breathtaking. Imagine one of your favorite places on earth wrapped in a white blanket - that's what I had the pleasure of seeing!

One of the many reasons I love snow is because it reminds me of living in Wisconsin. I actually wore my snow boots that I bought when I lived up there today and I may have been the only person on campus with warm, dry feet! All of the snow that we have had this year fails to compare to a true Northern winter! I think our first year that we lived there one storm brought 3 feet of snow in one day - THREE FEET! It was incredible! I remember Madie was 4 or 5 and jumped into a big pile in our little front yard. She lost one of her boots and we didn't find it again until 3 months later when all of the snow had finally melted. I actually learned to drive in the snow and I blame my poor parallel parking skills on it. I always end up about a foot away from the curb, which coincidentally is how far the snow stuck out. :) Winterfest, sledding, snow angels and snowball fights, oh it was so much fun!

Snow doesn't slow you down in Wisconsin - you just put on another layer and go on with your day. But in the eyes of a frozen Texan it was so wonderful. If every snow I see for the rest of my life reminds me of Wisconsin, then I will be a happy person!

No comments:

Post a Comment