Friday, October 30, 2009

Living My Dreams

My life lately has been very busy, but I've been having a lot of fun! Last weekend was Homecoming - my fourth that I have planned, which is crazy! Our theme this year was "Living Your Dreams" and it was such a good weekend. I think it was probably the best that I've planned yet. Everything went really smoothly and it was great! It was fun to see old, and new friends and reminisce about my time at HPU. Sometimes its easy to forget about actually being a student here, since I've worked at the school all this time.

Now, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Washington, D.C. (my favorite US city!) on a trip with students from the Model UN team at HPU. We left Austin yesterday morning at 7:00 a.m. and have already had a full schedule of events! I took some of the students around the National Mall last night, which I can just NEVER get enough of! My American pride is just always bursting at the seems as soon as the Washington Monument comes into view. We went to the Smithsonian for a bit before it closed, then walked to the White House and saw the monuments at night. It was really beautiful! This is amazingly my fifth time in DC (my 2nd this year!) but my 1st time to see the city in the fall and it is so beautiful! I love all of the trees changing colors - we don't get as much of that in Texas!
Today we got a tour of the Capitol building, which was really great. An intern from Congressman Mike Conaway's office did a great job (I must admit, it was a lot more thorough than the tours I gave as an intern for Sen. Hutchison several years ago, haha) spending over 2 hours with us and taking us all over the building. It's always fun to go there and I think the students enjoyed it too. Tonight they started their conference so I am going to the Kennedy Center to see City Dance Ensemble: Latitude. I'm not sure what to expect, but I love dancing, so I'm sure it will be great!

1 comment: