Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bachelorette Finale, New President and More!

Well. this has been a pretty crazy week! Here's a little recap for you:

The Most Dramatic Season in Bachelorette History - if you don't care about the show, just skip this part! :)

First of all, I need to talk about my guilty pleasure - The Bachelorette. Well, I have been an avid fan for probably years now, but I am still always suprised how wrapped up I get in this crazy show. Let me state for the record that I do not think that the process on the show is in anyway natural. It is probably one of the worst ways to find someone to "spend the rest of your life with" as they always say, but it sure is entertaining. I have liked Jillian since she was on the show with Jason last season and am proud to say that the final three guys were all in my initial top 5 list from episode one (if you are curious, my picks were Jake, Ed, Kiptyn, Sascha and Reid). I just knew she was going to pick Ed and I'm so glad that she did. I had a lot of fun watching this season with my sister Lorin. In between every commercial break we were on the phone analyzing what just happened and of course we texted all during the show as well. When it came down to the last episode on Monday, Lorin was rooting for Kiptyn and secretly Reid while I just knew Jill was going to go with Ed. As I think about why in the world I like to watch this show, I think it boils down to the fact that I don't have drama in my life (thank goodness) and so I just love the drama on this show. One time this season I mentioned to Lorin that I know that they make this show for people like me because I just eat it up and Lorin said that we must be the same kind of person because she felt the exact same way. Between the drama with the wannabe country singer Wes, Ed leaving and coming back, Jake's big return to be the noble guy, and Reid's suprise proposal in the end, I think that it would be accurate to quote Chris Harrison and say this was by far "the most dramatic season in Bachelorette history."

New Neighbor

I found out on Tuesday that I'm getting a new neighbor. Dr. Bill Ellis (from HSU) has been named the next president at HPU and therefore my new nextdoor neighbor. I was able to meet Dr. and Dr. Ellis (his wife is a prof at McMurry) and they seem like really sweet people. I am looking forward to working with them and to the good things God has in store for HPU under his able leadership. Naming a new president sure makes for a busy day in the media office! My phone was ringing off the hook and I was busy all afternoon updating as many different places as I could. Between all of my media contacts, updating the HPU and alumni webpages, facebook and twitter, it was a whirlwind!

Renewed love for Dee Henderson

When I haven't been working, I've been reading this week. I have a renewed love for Dee Henderson books. My grandmother gave me her copy of "True Devotion" a couple of weeks ago and so I picked it up on Saturday and just couldn't put it down. So, on Sunday, after church I went to the library and picked up the two other books in that series that I hadn't read yet and Danger in the Shadows. Well, here it is on Thursday and I just have a few pages of Danger left, the other two I have already finished. I like Dee's book so much because she develops a really great plot with lots of action and twists and turns, all the while weaving romance and Christianity throughout. She writes about really believable Christian characters who find hope, peace, and comfort in the Lord in the midst of big trials and troubles. The series I just finished also focused on the armed services and had characters that were Navy SEALS, Parajumpers and other service men and women. The books really gave me a new appreciation for all of the men and women that put their lives on the line everyday for the freedoms that we so often take for granted in America. It was neat to read about soliders who were also Christians, and the hope and security they found in our Heavenly Father. I'll probably be back in the library again on Sunday checking out the O'Malley series - which I love! So, here's two thumbs up and five stars for Dee Henderson! If you haven't read her, I highly recommend it!

Ben III

On Tuesday, my cousin Sarah and her husband BJ welcomed sweet little Ben David Brooks, III into the world. He weighed 8 lbs and was 20 inches long and from the pictures I've seen, is adorable! I can't wait to meet him in person! Sarah and I are only 5 months apart and have spent all of our significant holidays together for our whole lives. I can't believe she's a mommy now, but I know she'll be great! Babies are such a precious blessing from the Lord, Ben was actually one of three babies that I know of that were born on Tuesday - what a special day!

Travel update: I think my next destination is going to be Milwaukee, probably Labor day weekend. It has already been a year since I've been there and I really miss my friends! It's time for me to go and visit again and catch up on everyone's lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment